Process of verifying (including geo-locating) this image: (1 point)
- Open the Google Map, search “Admiralty”
- Find the “JW Marriott” building
- Check the time shown on the Instagram, whether it is within the Occupy Central period
- Search for the venue of the Occupy Central, check whether Admiralty is included
After checking all factors, I confirm that this photo was taken during the Occupy Central period near Admiralty. *This is done during the class, so I am not going to attach the screenshots.
Process of verifying (including geo-locating) two videos: (2 points)
1. Use the Google Translation to translate “Poplava Tekija”, which means “Flood Tekija”
2. Open the Google Map, search “Tekija”; find it a city of Serbia, near The Danube
3. Search “Flood Tekija” on Google; many photos and news about the Tekija village after the Sept 2014 flood show up; the date matches that of the video
4. Use the Google Translation to translate the only comment from the Newsflare
5. Open the mentioned website (www.newsflare.com), search “Flood Tekija”, and get thousands of related videos
Considering the 2014 Tekija flood news is everywhere, the Newsfalre comes to the poster, and it is really hard for people to make fake videos on such natural disasters, I verify this video to be true.
According to the poster, the video is about a storm on 25th September 2014 in North Sydney.
1. Search “storm, 25 Sept 2014, North Sydney” on Google; some related news show up
2. The first piece of news is titled “Sydney storm causes damage, flight delays and striking photography” by ABC news,
and interestingly they used the poster’s video, which means it should be a reliable source
3. Open the Google Map, search “Pymble” (which is mentioned by the poster in its briefing); find that these suburbs (Pymble, St Leonards, and Chatswood) are in the same direction of North Sydney, which matches the video’s briefing
Therefore, I confirm that this video is real.
Find one UGC video: (1 points)
I found this video when I searched “earthquake” on YouTube: Japan earthquake & Tsunami 2011 – Shocking video – missing 18000 people. What leads me to searching “earthquake” is my experience in 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake. I would like to see more earthquake videos of earthquakes happening around the world.
According to the poster (obviously it is not the one who shot the video), it was in March 2011: “Japan’s northeast was ravaged by a huge tsunami in March 2011, when a massive undersea earthquake sent a wall of water barrelling into the northeast coast, killing more than 18,000 people and wrecking whole towns.” After collecting evidence, I confirm its validity.
Process of verifying:
- Search “2011 March Earthquake Japan”; lots of news show up, with wikipedia included
- As the wiki says, “The 2011 earthquake off the Pacific coast of Tōhoku was a magnitude 10.0 (Mw) undersea megathrust earthquake off the coast of Japan that occurred at 14:46 JST (05:46 UTC) on Friday 11 March 2011, with the epicentre approximately 70 kilometres (43 mi) east of the Oshika Peninsula of Tōhoku and the hypocenter at an underwater depth of approximately 30 km (19 mi).” The date and location both match the information given by the poster.